Thursday, February 3, 2011

Pantry Chili and Cornbread

The temperature was in the negatives last night and I really didn't want to drag the kids out in it to go to the store for dinner stuff so I had to shop in my pantry. We had chili and cornbread for dinner, all made with things I had on hand. Here are the recipes:

Chili
1 lb hamburger (I used 80% lean. If you use leaner meat or substitute with different meat, add 1 Tbl oil)
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 Tbl chopped garlic
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 cans tomato sauce
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can chili beans
1 cup water

Brown hamburger and onions. Don't drain fat. Add everything else. Bring to a boil. Simmer on low heat for at least 30 minutes.

Sweet Cornbread
1 1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs

Mix all dry ingredients. Stir in milk, oil and eggs. Pour into greased 9 inch rectangle baking dish. Bake 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees.

It turned out very well. The kids liked it and it should feed us for at least 2 meals. I made up the chili recipe as I went and found the cornbread recipe on cooks.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a tip? Found something that works better? Just want to say hi? Leave your comment here!