Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Pantry Unfried Rice-Modified

The Unfried Rice recipe I promised that I would try and tweak has been tried and tweaked. This recipe makes a WHOLE lot of rice. It was enough for 3 meals for my family of 4.

Here is the recipe with my changes in italics.


INGREDIENTS:

* 1 Small Flank Steak (cut into bite size pieces) --I used 1 cup cubed ham
* 2 Bags Steamfresh Brown Rice
* 1 Bag Steamfresh Broccoli Florets
* 1 Small Can Water Chestnuts --I used the Medium size can
* 2 Large Carrots Shredded --I used a can of carrots, quartered
* 1/2 Cup Frozen Peas (about 1/4 of the bag) --I used half a can of peas
* 2 Cloves Garlic Crushed --I used 2 Tbl jarred already chopped garlic
* 2 Eggs Scrambled
* 1/4 Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce --I used 1/2 cup regular Soy Sauce
* 1/4 Cup 365 Organics Soy/Ginger Sauce (from Whole Foods) --I skipped this altogether

DIRECTIONS:

** I have found the best method for making fried rice or stir-fry is to have everything ready. Once you put the meat in the pan, this recipe goes very quickly so my directions are in the order that I do it.

1 – Cook the rice and broccoli in the microwave according to the package directions and set aside.
2 – Cook the eggs and set aside.
3 – Drain and rinse the peas and set aside.
4 – Open and drain the water chestnuts and set aside.
5 – Heat one tablespoon olive oil over high heat in a large skillet. When the oil is hot, add the meat and one tablespoon of the soy sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until just cooked through.
6 – Turn the heat way down (I use a medium-low heat at this point), add the garlic and carrots and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
7 – Add the broccoli, water chestnuts, peas, rice, eggs, remaining soy sauce.
8 – Stir constantly until ingredients are mixed well and heated through.
9 – Taste and adjust for seasoning. Salt, pepper or more sauce…whatever you like.
9 – Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a tip? Found something that works better? Just want to say hi? Leave your comment here!