Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Planning pt. 1

When I got home from work last night, Sammy and I took the tape measure out to the part of the back yard that I am going to take over. I needed to get dimensions so I could start thinking about how I wanted it to look. Like where I was going to build raised beds, where I was going to put up trellises, where the walkways were going to be and so on. Sammy held the end of the tape measure while I pulled it as far as it would go and wrote down numbers.

Our property is a rectangle but the way our home is placed, the yard is odd shaped. It is like the letter b. According to my figures, I have just under 3000 square feet in my part of the yard. It seems like that is way too high of a figure. I am horrible at math so I need to have Andy double check my figures later.

The boys and I sat down after dinner to make a list of the fruits and veggies they like to eat. We came up with a very long list. Now I need to find out if it all will grow here in Northern Arizona or not.

Our list of veggies: corn, green beans, peas, tomatoes, zucchini, lettuce, radish, asparagus, carrots, broccoli, potatoes, onions, garlic, squash, jalapenos, bell peppers, Anaheim chili, spinach, cucumbers, rhubarb, cabbage, avocado and celery.

Our list of fruits: strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, apples, pumpkin, grapes, cherries, peaches, pears, oranges, lemons, limes, raspberries, bananas and plums.

Our list of herbs: cilantro, mint, lavender, basil, chives, mustard, oregano, parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme and dill.

The boys keep telling me to add things to the lists every so often so they will probably be updated a couple of times before it is time to plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a tip? Found something that works better? Just want to say hi? Leave your comment here!