Thursday, March 17, 2011

It Has Started

We finally had a nice spring-like weekend (with no plans) so I took full advantage of it to get a few things done.

The garden area has been tilled. We decided against building boxes this year so Andy broke out the tiller and dug up a 8x12 ft area for me to plant in.

The garden area has been planned out. I sat down and drew up plans for what I want to plant and where. I ended up getting my list of things to plant narrowed down well enough that I have an entire 2x15 ft area in another part of the yard just for the boys to plant whatever they want in.

Projects planned-
1) Start collecting (empty) beer bottles. I recently read about someone that used inverted wine bottles as a garden border. Brilliant idea except we aren't really wine drinkers. Aha, beer bottles! They would work just as well.

2) Make garden area level. Having the garden lopsided is driving me nuts. I keep thinking about how the water won't stay where it is supposed to and will pool in one area and it is driving me insane.

3) Build garden border with beer bottles.

4) Find and buy 2 large non-Styrofoam planters for blueberry and raspberry plants.

5) Wait for seeds and plants to be delivered. Get plants planted ASAP. Put seeds away and don't forget where I put them.

6) Clean out gardening/camping shed. Figure out some kind of organization system that the boys can stick with.

7) Gather up ALL the gardening tools and put in shed or somewhere.

8) Start some seeds indoors.

I have until Mothers Day (that's when our growing season starts) to get this all accomplished. That is only 7 weekends, plus whatever I can fit in after work and after all the other household stuff I have to stay on top of. But, somewhere in there I lose quite a few days for 2 birthdays, Easter, Little League Opening Day, and T-ball games.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a tip? Found something that works better? Just want to say hi? Leave your comment here!